Springtime is finally here (or at least getting here). The change from the cold temperatures and dark days inspires many people to get more active and finally start on their to-do list they’ve been putting off the last few months.
And this newfound sense of purpose and productivity doesn’t just extend to your household chores. It can also provide a renewed sense of commitment to work. You may find yourself more excited to tackle that big project. Or, on the flip side, you may find yourself itching to get outside and wanting to get your work done as soon as possible.
There is a misconception that smoking weed or using a marijuana product will leave you glued to your couch. The perception is that you will be lazy, unable to move, or get anything accomplished after smoking weed: the stereotypical stoner.
But, that is not the case. Some strains of marijuana can help users increase their focus, get the creative juices flowing, and even provide bursts of energy. All of this can be helpful when trying to stay productive this spring.
If you are considering using marijuana to improve your productivity at work or home (or both), what should you look for? Where should you start? We’ll help you get started.
What Makes a Cannabis Strain Productive?
There are more than 1,000 different strains of marijuana out there today. Each of these strains is unique and offers users different experiences. Some may promote relaxation and help people drift off to sleep, while others will encourage productivity.
But, how do you know which strain will help you accomplish which goal? The answer lies in the individual makeup of each marijuana strain.
First, marijuana plants fall into three different categories:
The type of plant you are smoking plays a part in determining the effects you’ll experience. An indica plant, for example, is more likely to give you a head high, promote relaxation, and help you sleep. Sativas, on the other hand, are known for their full-body effects, for increasing energy, and assisting people in focusing. Hybrids can offer a balance of the two or lean more one way than another, depending on which type is dominant.
Next, the terpene profile of a plant also plays a part in determining its effects. Terpenes are known for giving plants their unique taste and smell. But, terpenes can also have effects of their own. Myrcene, for example, is known for having a sedative effect. So, you likely would not want that to be the dominant terpene profile when looking for a productive strain.
Then you’ll want to look at the THC and CBD content each plant contains. These are the two most prominent compounds found in marijuana. THC is known for giving users the high associated with marijuana use, while CBD offers other effects without the high. Plants with high THC content will hit harder than if they have low.
Finally, it is essential to understand that everyone processes and reacts to cannabis differently. Though a particular strain may be more apt to cause specific effects, your experience could be slightly different. It’s essential to know your limits when looking for a productive marijuana strain.
How to Choose a Productive Cannabis Strain
Now that you know what influences the effects a strain offers, here’s how you can start your search for the perfect productive strain.
- Ask for recommendations from fellow marijuana users, a local budtender, or your online cannabis dispensary.
- Do your research before buying a strain. Strains from different growers can vary slightly in their profile. Look at the strain’s information on the site where you plan to buy it from to know what you are getting.
- Know your tolerance levels. If you want to be productive but don’t want to experience a powerful high, note the THC levels in the strain. Or, mention that to your budtender as they help you find the right strain.
We have also compiled a list of nine cannabis strains that are known for boosting productivity. Start your search with these, and see which ones are available in your area and from your dispensary.
Marijuana Strains That Promote Productivity
- Chocolate Fondue. You really can’t go wrong when chocolate is in the name of anything. And this strain is no exception. Chocolate Fondue was created by crossing Chocolope and Exodus. It offers an enjoyable chocolate and coffee flavour paired with nutty and cheese flavours as you inhale. As a sativa-dominant plant, it is known for leaving users feeling happy while also helping them focus and boosting their energy levels.
- Maui Wowie. Perhaps the outdoors or a tropical vacation are calling to you this spring. Maui Wowie can transport you to the beach, thanks to its tropical flavours. Created in Hawaii, it has somewhat murky genetics. Though Hawaii is a known parent, the other strain it was crossed with is not known. Nevertheless, this cannabis strain is known for providing users with an uplifted mood, bursts of energy, and even spurring creativity.
- Super Silver Haze. Created by crossing Skunk, Northern Lights, and Haze, this sativa strain is a three-time award winner. It won first place honours in the Cannabis Cup for three straight years, from 1997 to1999. It is known for producing a long-lasting body high while also helping to uplift your mood. While it can also help calm you and quiet your mind, users don’t feel sedated. Instead, they can focus on the task at hand and have the energy to finish it. It is important to note that some people may experience effects of Super Silver Haze spreading throughout their body after their initial rush. This effect can soothe users, helping them wind down after a productive day.
- Warlock. Remember when we said sativa plants are usually productivity-boosting, but others can as well? This strain is “an exception.” Warlock is an indica-dominant hybrid strain, but it is known for expressing some sativa traits. Warlock’s effects will first be felt in your mind, helping sharpen your focus, allowing you to complete those tedious to-do tasks at home. This strain, however, will likely taper off into a relaxing body high that may lead to a decrease in productivity after your initial burst. This is an excellent strain to use to finish that evening project before relaxing for the night.
- Strawberry Cough. This particular strain is aptly named. It offers users the distinctive taste and smell of strawberries (combined with a skunkier smell) and has a potent smoke that can make even experienced users cough slightly. This sativa-dominant strain is thought to have been bred using Strawberry Fields and Haze, but this is up for debate. Strawberry Cough is known for its uplifting, energizing, and focusing effects, making it ideal for completing a task that involves creativity and problem-solving, such as finishing that project before you can go out and enjoy the sun.
- Super Lemon Haze. Another award-winning strain (it won first place in the Cannabis Cup in 2008 and 2009), Super Lemon Haze is quite notorious. Another sativa-dominant hybrid, this strain also can contain higher levels of THC, up to about 25 percent. Because of its high THC content, inexperienced users may not want to start with this potent bud. However, Super Lemon Haze does offer a citrusy, sweet smell and can taste a bit like lemon head candy, giving it mass appeal. It is known for leaving people feeling quite energetic and lively and elevating their mood. You’ll be able to complete your to-do task and feel quite happy about it.
- Jack Herer. Named after cannabis activist Jack Herer, this strain is a nine-time award winner. It is thought to have been created by crossing Haze, Northern Lights, and Shiva Skunk. Jack Herer is only slightly sativa-dominant (coming in at 55 percent), which means it gives users effects that are pretty well-balanced. It is a fast-acting and potent strain, meaning users may want to try a lower dose to achieve the productivity results they want. Jack Herer has an orange-lemon scent and taste that is complemented by a hint of pine. This strain will first leave users feeling energized before it spreads throughout their limbs, helping them relax without leaving them stuck on the couch. Many Jack Herer users find their creativity boosted after use as well.
- Cinex. Offering a citrus aroma with earthy skunk undertones, Cinex was created by crossing Cinderella 99 and Vortex. This particular cannabis strain is usually relatively high in THC, which means it is pretty powerful and may not be the best option for beginners. As a slightly-sativa dominant strain, Cinex is often recommended for daytime use. This cannabis has been known to help keep people feeling uplifted and energized throughout the day, making it great if you have a long to-do list that you need to get done today.
- Ultra Sour. This strain is known for being quite hard-hitting, so newbies and experienced users alike should mind their dosage when it comes to Ultra Sour. Ultra Sour was created by crossing MK Ultra and East Coast Sour Diesel and offers users a tart smell and taste. It is sativa-dominant and offers sativa-like effects that include an uplifted mood, euphoria, and even enhanced creativity. Though you may start to feel a relaxing vibe a few hours after using Ultra Sour, you’ll ultimately still retain your increased energy levels throughout the day.
Other Ways to Increase Productivity
Though cannabis can help improve your productivity as you focus on your spring projects and getting work done despite the more excellent weather, there are other methods you can try too. Combined with your new favourite productive marijuana strain, you may be able to accomplish more than you imagined.
Other tips to help improve productivity this spring include:
- Know what time of day you are most productive and tackle your most significant projects then. Perhaps you find you are most awake, alert, and creative in the morning. Use that time to finish your big jobs instead of right after lunch when you are full and a little bit sleepy.
- Make a to-do list, and be sure to cross things off as you accomplish them. This can give you the motivation you need to keep going. You’ll also feel a sense of accomplishment when you see what you got done today.
- Keep your to-do list reasonable. Though making a list is a great way to increase your productivity, be sure you don’t over-do it. Keep your list in an appropriate length, or the benefits of making one might not be achieved.
- Take short breaks. Once you’ve finished a job, take a short break to walk the dog or even take out the trash. Then get back to your to-do list. You’ll return from your short break with renewed focus and more energy.
- Get enough sleep. Taking care of yourself, which includes getting enough sleep, is essential for being productive. Being tired can impact your ability to focus and get things done in general.
Final Thoughts on Marijuana and Productivity
As spring arrives, you may be feeling a renewed sense of energy and the desire to get things done. Your spring cleaning to-do list is waiting.
Though it is commonly thought that marijuana use will only leave people feeling blissed out, stoned, and unable to accomplish anything, that is not the case. In fact, certain strains can do the opposite. They can help increase energy, improve focus, and make it easier for people to be productive at work and home.
But you’ll need to find the right strain to do that.
Be sure to look at the makeup of the particular strain you are considering to improve your productivity and ensure it will give you the desired effects. With the correct cannabis strain and the right dose, you may find yourself more productive than ever this spring.